Thursday, April 3, 2008

Old age is a cruel & vicious monster

Two blog posts in one day?! What is this about?! Ok well I was really just contemplating life and the complexity of it. What brought these deep and meaningful thoughts about, you might be asking. It all started today while I was working.
First a little backgroud, I process and pay facility claims at a local hospital. I work in Capitation (not Decapiation just capitation) and we're the responisible payor when our cap'd patients use other facilities. It's all confusing to most people but makes sense to me! Today while I was processing claims, I came across one for a particular patient I'm deeply attached to. I've never met her in person, I haven't seen a picture of her, but have been processing her claims quite frequently. I don't know why I'm so attached to an 80-something person I've never met, but there it is. I am.
The claim I got today was for her visit to another ER department a while back. Since it was an ER claim I had to review the notes and was deeply sadden by what they said. The notes said that she went to the ER by way of ambulance because she had an "accident" in the mall. She was walking through the mall and lost control of her bowels so badly that 911 was called. In the notes it said that the patient was crying but her level of consciosness was not altered. That means she was fully lucid during this event.
POOR WOMAN!!! How cruel is old age? I can't imagine what she was going through. And to think, she used to be a healthy woman. Now everything is slowly slipping away. I can't stop thinking about this woman, whom I've never met, crying in the mall because she soiled herself. My heart breaks and I want to cry for her. I'm humilated for her.
I put myself in her position, and how would I feel. I would hope that old age would be kind to me, but if not, I pray dementia takes me first so that I wouldn't know or understand or even care what was happening. Maybe dementia isn't a bad thing after all. Some diseases are so wicked to our bodies maybe dementia is a way to cope with them until our bodies finally have had enough and shut off.

I'm sorry for morbid tone of this post. I can't help it. I'm so moved by this one poor woman, whom I've never met and probably never will.

3 comments:

Brandy said...

I just want to hug her!!!

Leslie said...

I completely understand. Old age really isn't fair to a lot of people. Poor old lady. I am sad for her. :(

Evening said...

How sad! I hope the paramedics and people at the hospital were kind. She must have been mortified. Poor lady!