Friday, May 8, 2009

Happy 1st Bday Kennedy

I'm writing this a tad early, but I have a jammed pack weekend ahead of me, and I want to make sure I post this.


One year ago, I got a text from my friend KC that something was wrong in her pregnancy and she was being transferred down to Loma Linda University Medical Center for higher level of care. She was almost 30 weeks along. The next day, KC's husband told us that they KC's amniotic fluids were all but gone and they would have to do an emergency c-section, but first wanted to give her a steroids shot to help the baby's lung develop. May 11th, Dave and I took a trip to La Jolla (it was Sunday, and Mother's Day) to check out the potential places for our wedding reception, a trip I doubt we'll ever forget. While in La Jolla, we found out that Kennedy was born. 1 lb 6oz and 12.5 inches long.






Holy Shit.

I meet Kennedy two weeks later. She was tiny, her little hands were as big (or as small) as my thumb. She was perfect though. We visited her many times in her long stay in the NICU. We see her more now that she lives about 1 minute away.


Now, it's been a year. I've watched her little 1.5 lb self grow big and strong. I've watched this amazing person go from 12.5 inches long, with tubes covering her, and a head so small that she needed a special hat to this beautiful intelligent little girl (who's almost toddling along). I watch her smile, laugh, blow raspberries and snore. I'm thoroughly humbled by watching her grow up. It's truly awesome. I'm not a very religious person, but holy cow this kid is a miracle from God. I don't think I can convey how exciting this birthday is for me. I know I'm just the friend, a pseudo-aunt to her, but I'm fully invested in Kennedy's future, and look forward to every milestone, large or small, that she goes through.

Happy Birthday Kiddo. You never fail to impress me and scare the heck out of all at once. I can't wait to write about your 2nd birthday.


3 comments:

Cindy's Garden Thoughts said...

You go girl!
(both you and Kennedy!)

Valerie said...

Happy birthday Kennedy!!

foxykitty50 said...

Aww! We love you Auntie Jenn! Now post those birthday party pics!