I usually love the Olympics I love watching people from all around the world compete on the same field (pool, lake, whatever). It makes me feel part of the whole world, not just my isolated corner of California. After watching Katie Hoff swim the 400m freestyle, I turned the Olympics off. I hate being part of a nation that only cares about the Gold. Katie Hoff is an amazing swimmer. Her form is graceful and beautiful. When she won the Silver for the 400m freestyle the woman interviewing her asked her "How do you feel about only getting the Silver?" Katie laughed in the woman's face and replied, "well since I just beat my own record, I'm really proud of myself." Since when did Silver or Bronze become losing or not good enough. In a race that over 30 women from the all over the world swam, she placed 2nd. To me, that's amazing. I'm sitting here watching other countries that are just thrilled to be good enough to get to the Olympics with two or three competitors and here's our country crushing everyone and thinking that the only medal worth getting is Gold. I guess America is all about the "If you're not first, you're last" mentality. I'm ready for that to change. And I doubt that Katie Hoff will read this, but if she does, that Silver (and the Bronze too) is remarkable and I'm darn proud of her!!
Photo credit from Wikipedia

5 comments:
It's never enough is it? Even what's his face that has 6 golds has everyone asking "Will it be 7?" WTH people!?! Can't you just say way to go?
Oh it's not only the US. Did you see the newest story about the Swedish wrestler who threw his bronze medal on the floor this morning after winning? Sad.
I absolutely agree. Sheesh, people you are among the top three in the world, that is an amazing accomplishment in and of itself!
I totally agree! I was sad to see that in the women's gymnastics all they focused on was the US and China. What about everyone else?
I'd rather watch w/the sound off. The announcers are the worst.
But Paul is very competitive so I can see why some of the 2nd & 3rd place winners wouldn't be too happy.
Post a Comment